GreenDay: Hydroponics with Zach Kapple
Permaculturist Zach Kapple will be building a hydroponic system and explaining how it works to grow in nutient-rich water without the use of soil. He will also discuss permaculture, a low impact agricultural technique. The installation will include elements of aquaponics with fish and algae, composting with earthworms, pollinators, a floodplain for growing aquatic plants and slow food in the form of perennials. Zach is a founder and director of MP Collaborative, a think tank devoted to cross-disciplinary brainstorming to bring tangible solutions to real problems.
Community partners: Westport Library, Staples High School Club Green, Westport Green Task Force, Earthplace, Wakeman Town Farm, Wadsworth Arboretum, Westport Farmer's Market, Westport Garden Club, Village Pediatrics, Town of Westport Beautification Committee and Town of Westport Public Works Department.
8:30-10am: Volunteer Clean Ups
The Westport Beautification Committee has selected two sites that need many hands and feet to clean up litter and debris. Bring sturdy shoes and gloves. Rakes and brooms are helpful if you have them. Under 14 must be accompanied by an adult.
Team #1: The Greens Farm Metro North Railroad Station (meet in front of the Station House).
Team #2: Riverside Park and the waterside along Riverside Ave (meet in the parking lot of Saugatuck Elementary School).
10-11am: Family Trail Run (and Walk) at Earthplace
PLACE: Earthplace at 10 Woodside Lane, Westport Hit the trails at Earthplace for this inaugural family trail run/walk to kick off Westport Greenday! With options for all ages and abilities, this trail run/walk is sure to be an activity the whole family will enjoy!
There will be three trail run/walk options for walkers and up:
- 2 miles (for adults and older kids)
- 1 mile (geared at children under 12 years of age)
- (free) kids 100 meter dash (for walkers and up)
Click here for more information and to register.
As a bonus - race feed includes free t-shirts for kids and free access to Westport Greenday activities at Earthplace following the race. Proceeds will benefit Earthplace and its Nature Speaker programs.
Special thanks to Village Pediatrics for sponsoring the fun run and encouraging us all to hit the trail.
10-10:45 am: How What Goes Into the Sewer Comes Out Clean...
PLACE: 4 Elaine Road (off South Compo)
Tour the Westport Wastewater Treatment Plant for an open house and tour. Learn how a state-of-the-art waste treatment plant helps protect our watershed and the Saugatuck estuary. Come see the process and technology first hand during a guided tour by facility management.
Sponsored by Town of Westport, Public Works Department
11 am - 3 pm: Fun and Learning with Nature!
Earthplace, Wakeman Town Farm, the Westport Library, and the new Lillian Wadsworth Arboretum join forces!
PLACE: EARTHPLACE, 10 Woodside Lane, Westport
Experience and explore the natural world guided by a team of program leaders:
- Dip your fingers in a Long Island Sound Touch Tank teaming with life
- Enjoy a variety of crafts and guided trail walks
- Grab a magnifying lens and find creatures living in the dark beneath dead logs
- Join Wakeman Town Farm animals and learn about planting from local experts
- Enjoy one of many animal encounters or nature science experiments
- Roast marshmallows by a Campfire with a special Greenday story by Westport Library staff
- Learn the importance of native plants and their pollinators from the Westport Garden Club
- Tour the adjacent Lillian Wadsworth Arboretum, walk away with a free native tree sapling and enter the free drawing to win a hand-crafted and finished wood bench made from wood of the Arboretum, courtesy of the Westport Tree Board. (12-3 p.m.)
- Enjoy Westport Farmers' Market vendors including EggZ food truck.
3-4pm: Hydroponics with Zach Kapple
PLACE: The Westport Library, Great Hall
Zach Kapple will be building a hydroponic system and explaining how it works to grow healthy food. Zach will give a presentation on this work in the Great Hall at the Westport Library at 3pm.
Sponsored by The Westport Library