In partnership with Westport Pride, Triangle Community Center Community Education Manager Cadence Pentheny facilitates a foundational training in LGBTQ+ 101: An Introduction to Identities & Allyship, intended to engage participants in a thorough overview of the LGBTQ+ community, with space for learning, reflection, and team-building for allies and LGBTQ+ folks alike.
From terminology and definitions to rethinking historical and traditional assumptions about gender and sexuality, this training is a must for all those who wish to build ever-more inclusive and affirming practices.
Learning goals for the LGBTQ+ 101 include:
- An understanding of what is meant by sexual orientation, sexual identity, gender identity, gender expression, and sex assigned at birth — the differences between them and how they impact one another
- Language and definition of terms associated with the LGBTQ+ community
- Defining and understanding notions of hetero-normativity, the gender/sex binary, and cis-normativity
- Rethinking social norms and expectations surrounding sexuality and gender in our society, and how every one of us is impacted by these kinds of assumptions
- The importance of allyship in real life situations: Understanding how LGBTQ+ individuals are impacted by bias, and an overview of best practices that protect the safety and inclusion of LGBTQ+ individuals and communities
Space is limited. Registration is required.
Triangle Community Center