Cart Side Pickup Procedures
Cart Side service available Monday – Friday 10:00 am – 6:00 pm and Saturday 10:00 am–5:00 pm
Who can use Cart Side pickup?
Anyone with a Westport Library card or a CT Library card registered with the Westport Library can use Cart Side pickup. Please note requests could take up to four days to be fulfilled
Don't have a Library card? Westport residents click the link below to apply for a card online.
Apply for a Library card online here
What materials are available?
Books, DVDs, CDs, audiobooks/books on CD.
The following materials are not available:
Library of Things – including our Wi-Fi HotSpots, puzzles and board games; Children’s toys & Childrens kits; the seed Library and Museum Passes
What is the procedure for requesting materials and using Cart Side pick-up?
1. Select materials through the catalog https://catalog.westportlibrary.org/polaris/
and then request them. You can place up to 10 requests per Library card.
2. Or call 203-291-4807 and staff will place the holds for you.
3. You will receive an email or a phone call when your holds are ready for Cart Side pick-up.
4. Once you are notified that your holds are available, and when you plan to come and collect them, call the Patron Services desk at 203-291-4807 during Library hours, to let staff know to place your items on the cart outside the Library. Your items will remain on the cart until closing (6pm/5pm Saturday) on the day you called. One you receive a notice (by phone call &/or email) that your item is ready, we will hold it for 4 days.
If you need help with selecting a book, our Librarians will be happy to help. They will also place the items on hold for you. Call 203.291.4840 for Reference and call 203.291.4810 for the Youth Services Department.
Where do I park when I arrive to pick up my materials?
You may park anywhere in the parking lot, since the cart is located near the Library entrance on the upper level, we recommend you park there.
Will staff still be bringing items to patrons' cars?
No, this Cart Side procedure is going to replace the prior Curbside procedure.
How are you disinfecting Library materials?
According to the most up to date guidance time is the most effective disinfectant. All available resources suggest 72 hours is the appropriate duration to quarantine books and other materials. All Returned items will be quarantined for 72 hours. In the interests of being extra cautious, the Library will also use UVC lighting in the disinfecting process.
Items will remain on the patrons account for a minimum of 72 hours since items will only be checked-in the items one once the quarantine procedure is complete. For more information, please refer to the Library’s guidelines for quarantining materials here
I have items available but have not received a pick-up notice. Can I pick them up?
The quarantine process has lengthened the time it takes for items to become available to patrons. If you have not yet received a call, then the item is still in process and not available. Please feel free to call Patron Services at 203-291-4807 with any questions.
How long will you keep my holds for?
Once you receive a notice (by phone call &/or email) that your item is ready, we will hold it for 4 days.
What are your loan periods for the Cart Side delivery phase?
1. Loan period for books, audio books, and music CDs will be extended to 4 weeks.
2. DVD loan periods will be 2 weeks.
3. Express Books will be extended to 17 days and Express DVDs to 1 week.
What about Library fines during COVID-19? If I have currently have fines for overdue materials, can I still use Cart Side service?
Yes, you can. New fines for overdue materials will be waived during this period.
I have a question about my account. Is there anyone that can help me?
If you have any questions about your account or how to access digital resources please contact us 203.291.4807 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
I have a reference question. Is there anyone who can help?
If you have a reference question please e-mail reference at email@example.com
or call 203.291.4840
I have a Children’s reference question. Is there anyone who can help?
If you have a Children’s reference question, please email the Children’s department at firstname.lastname@example.org
or call 203.291.4810