Using the Library
What should I expect when I visit the Library?
We are happy to welcome you to the Library at your scheduled time. Services available:
In-person services available during this phase:
• Borrowing of books, audiobooks, movies, CDs, and magazines from the collection
• Use of one of 3 Express computers, with printing available, for one 20-minute session per day
• Remote printing
• Use of two conference rooms with advance reservations
• Access to the Children's Library
• Access to the Store
• Café will be selling beverages between 10:00 and 1:00 (Monday - Friday)
• Access to Reference and Patron Services
• Use of Verso Studios and Maker Space by appointment
What are the hours for this Phase of Services?
To allow extra time for disinfection and cleaning of communal spaces each day, the Library will continue to operate with reduced hours.
External Cart Pick Up Service and In-Library Hours:
• Monday through Friday: 9:00 am to 6:00 pm
• Saturday: 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
• No Sunday
What measures is the Library taking to keep patrons safe?
The Library is taking numerous precautions to allow for the health and safety of staff and patrons:
• Limiting the number of patrons in the Library at any given time.
• Implementing 6 feet social distancing protocols.
- Parents are encouraged to keep their young children close to maintain social distancing. Bringing a stroller, carrying your child, or holding their hand during your visit will help keep everyone safe.
• Reducing Library hours to ensure sufficient time for enhanced cleaning.
• Implementing a separate entrance and exit from the Library to allow for one-way foot traffic.
• Removing seating and asking patrons not to congregate.
• Applying one-way routes through the building and adding traffic markers.
• Requiring all staff and patrons to wear masks that cover nose and mouth. Effective May 3rd, children under two years old are welcome in the Library without masks.
• Using plexiglass shields at selected service points.
• Quarantining returned Library materials for 4 days.
• Increasing frequency of cleaning of the building and service points.
• Requiring patrons to wipe down computer keyboards and self-check stations after use.
• Providing hand-sanitizing stations and encouraging frequent hand washing.
• Strongly discouraging people from bringing food and drink into the Library.
Please help us keep our staff and the community safe by:
• Wearing masks that cover nose and mouth. (Mandatory in the building)
• Staying home if you’re experiencing symptoms of any illness.
• Staying home if you or any family member has been told to quarantine.
• Washing or sanitizing your hands frequently.
• Maintaining a distance of at least six feet from staff and other patrons.
• Keeping your visit to the Library short to allow other patrons to enjoy use of the Library.
• Following the instructions of Library staff.
Appointments for the Children's Department:
Appointments for the Children's Department are recommended. Two appointments will be available per time slot.
Is there a limit on the number of patrons allowed per scheduled appointment?
Yes, there is a maximum of 5 people per appointment for visiting the Children's Department.
How far in advance can I schedule an appointment?
Appointments may be scheduled up to 3 days in advance.
Per Governor Lamont’s travel advisory, can I visit the Library if I or a member of my family travel to one of the states with high rates of Corona infections?
To learn more about the state’s latest travel advisories, please visit https://portal.ct.gov/Coronavirus/Covid-19-Knowledge-Base/Travel-In-or-Out-of-CT
for more information.
Do I need to wear a mask while I’m at the Library?
Yes, the Library requires all patrons over 2 to wear masks to access the Library. Masks must be worn covering the nose and mouth the entire time patrons are in the Library.
What if I don't feel comfortable coming into the Library?
The Westport Library will offer external pickup of materials via a cart and Homebound Delivery of Library materials until further notice. To learn more about these services:Cart Side Service
We will continue to offer eBooks and audiobooks, online resources and more via our website. Please reach out to us by phone or email if you have questions.
Will the Library be issuing fines for overdue materials?
The Library will be collecting fines incurred prior COVID.
Will toys and materials in Library of Things be circulated in this phase?
Due to Health and Safety considerations, Library of Things and Children's Toys and Children's Kits will not be available for circulation.
The Library will be circulating Hotspots.
Will Museum Passes be available during this phase?
Given that many museums are still closed or operating with extensive restrictions, the Library will not be circulating museum passes.
Will I be able to read magazines and newspapers in the Library?
Since newspapers are high-touch items, for safety reasons, they will not be available in this phase. Magazines will not be available for in-Library reading and patrons may check them out, including the latest issue.
How long will this phase last?
At this stage we have not determined when we will move to the next phase of reopening. The health and safety of our staff and patrons will remain our top priority and so we will move to the next stage of reopening or revert to a prior phase based on the guidance of the Governor and on local health indicators.
Building & Facilities
Can I book a meeting room, study room, or hang out in the Library’s communal spaces?
Two of our conference rooms are available by appointment up to one week in advance of desired date. Please email email@example.com
to make a reservation. Other meeting and study rooms and communal spaces are not available until further notice.Use of the Conference rooms:
• Maximum of 7 people in the Board room (8 if not using the screen; 6 in Room 211)
• Rooms may be reserved up to one week in advance
• Reservations are limited to 2 hours
• While we will be implementing additional cleaning protocols in the Conference rooms, we request you wipe down your table after use
• No food is allowed in Conference rooms
• Masks are required and patrons must maintain social distancing
Will I be able to utilize the MakerSpace?
The Maker Space will be available for use during this phase by appointment.
Will I be able to utilize Verso Studios?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
or call Travis Bell at 203.291.4818 for questions relating to use of Verso Studios during this phase.
Will the restrooms be open?
Yes, but only one person or one household will be allowed in a restroom at any given time.
Will the café be open?
The café will be open between 10:00 -1:00 for beverage service.
Where do I return materials?
We will continue to use the white trailer structure for Books, CDs and DVD returns. The trailer is located adjacent to the Library in the Upper Level parking lot. A book return slot has been created to make it convenient for patrons to return their Library materials. Patrons will not be allowed to enter the trailer.
Why can't I return my materials in the Library's other book drops?
The health and safety of our patrons and staff members is our highest priority. The Library wishes to avoid bringing potentially contaminated materials into the Library building. The trailer enables the Library to place potentially contaminated materials in a holding cell before they are brought into the Library for thorough decontamination. Please refer to the Library’s procedures for quarantining materials here
How are you disinfecting Library materials?
According to the most up-to-date guidance, time is the most effective disinfectant. All available resources suggest 72 hours is the appropriate duration to quarantine books and other materials. Out of an abundance of caution all returned items will be quarantined for 4 days.
The Library will hold returned materials in the white trailer outside the building to prevent the virus from being brought directly into the Library. After the 4 days, materials will be brought into the Library checked in and removed from the patron's account.
Materials will remain on the patron's account for a minimum of 4 days since items will be checked in only once the quarantine procedure is complete. For more information, please refer to the Library’s guidelines for quarantining materials here
Will holds take longer during this time?
As we are quarantining returned materials before checking items in, there will be delays in delivering holds materials to the next patron.
May I have someone else pick up my holds for me?
Yes. If a family member or friend is available to pick up your holds, they can do so. You can give them your Library card to check out your materials.
Checking Out Materials
Will the Library continue to offer self-checkout of Library materials?
We ask that you use self-checkout stations to help us minimize close interactions during this time. To use the self-checkout, you’ll need to scan your Library card or key in your Library card number.
Please use hand sanitizer before and after using the self-checkout. Hand sanitizer will be provided.
As always, please ask for help if you need it.
Computers & Printing
Will the “Laptops Anytime” computers be available for use?
No, the reason is twofold. These are both high-touch resources and so to ensure the health and safety of our patrons we are not offering this service. Secondly, since we are limiting the number of patrons in the building and to ensure everybody has an opportunity to gain access without waiting in line, we are not offering services that will encourage people to linger in this phase.
Are copying, scanning, and faxing services available?
These are all high-touch resources and so to ensure the health and safety of our patrons, we are not offering these services.
Will the Library continue to provide Tech Help and Support during this time?
If you need help downloading with accessing our digital collection, check out our video tutorials here
. For any other tech questions, you can email us at email@example.com
The Library will provide remote printing services using our online app.
Programs & Events
Does the Library offer virtual or online events?
Yes, in accordance with the Governor’s recommendations, all in-person programs will continue to be offered virtually. Please see our events calendar
to learn more about our offerings.
When can I donate books?
Receipt of Book Donations has been suspended until further notice. Please check the Book Sale website
for further information about Book Sales.
Support the Library
How can I support the Library during this time?
Thank you for considering a gift to the Westport Library.
The Westport Library Association is a registered 501(c)3 organization. Contributions are fully deductible under federal tax regulations. The Westport Library accepts online donations using major credit cards. Your online transactions are safe and secure. The Library does not share donor information. The Westport Library is eligible for corporate matching grants.
For questions or additional information, please click here